11 of Vancouver’s top mom bloggers have come together to offer their thoughts on what kind of mother we each strive to be. We began yesterday with the lovely Tairalyn Ciulla of Little Miss Mama. Today, I offer you my list of what I aspire to as a mother…for better or for worse!
I strive to be a mom who:
- Gets to sleep in on the weekend…this is not selfish. Teaching my children to fend for themselves for a few hours is going to make them more independent human beings.
- Refuses to read parenting books…aside from the best seller I will one day write, I find parenting books, in general, just another way for me to feel bad about or question what I am doing. I aspire to be a mom who trusts her instincts, second guesses herself and feels guilty the old fashioned way.
- Doesn’t pee every time she sneezes…okay – not EVERY time. Surely this is temporary, right? Kegals, you suck.
- Doesn’t judge other moms. If you say you’ve never tutted at another mom’s behaviour/philosophy…I say “liar, liar pants on fire.” I am guilty of this and I’m not proud of it. People in glass houses and all that. So, no more judging…except for you, lady driving while texting with the toddler in the back seat eating a bag of Cheetos and pounding a two litre of Coke…I am TOTALLY judging you.
- Always has time for my kids…even when I don’t.
- Can pee (i.e. not when I’m peeing my pants – #3 above) alone and in silence. Again, this is not selfish. Children should learn about privacy…and to respect it.
- Doesn’t pretend to be perfect. The people I admire the most are the ones who are themselves, for better or worse. I want my kids to know I am not June Cleaver…nor do I want to be. I am a rockstar in my own right…
- Tells and shows her kids that she loves them…every.single.day. Through words, actions, hugs when they need them and kisses when they don’t want them. I strive to love the CRAP out of my kids…and, I guess I win because I already do.
Check out The Connection We Share tomorrow for Amy Lee’s post about the kind of mom she strives to be.
Over the coming days, more of Vancouver’s top mom bloggers will be chiming in…follow along!